Designing a Website for ALL Audiences
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS
Airport websites have to meet the informational expectations of a lot of user groups. From novice travelers to seasoned frequent fliers, the website has to be easy to use and function for all parties. This episode explores the meticulous process McGhee Tyson Airport went through to develop their brand new website. Listen as Moxley Carmichael’s Charley Sexton, Creative Director, John McCulley, Senior Web Developer, and Katrina Roberts, Graphic & Digital Media Designer, share their expertise in how to design an effective website, especially one with a multitude of user groups.
Guests in this Episode
In this episode, we are joined by three employees from Moxley Carmichael, a full-service communication agency located right here in East Tennessee.
- Charley Sexton, Creative Director, has been with Moxley Carmichael since 2001 and works directly on creative department projects, as well as manages graphic designers, web designers and developers, social media staff and production vendors. He was recognized as ambassador of the year in 2015 and in 2016, he was recognized in the Greater Knoxville Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 list.
- John McCulley, Senior Web Developer, is a full stack developer and has been developing websites and apps since 2005. John is a popular and experienced speaker who has been featured at CodeStock, the Knoxville American Marketing Association conference and Code TN. He makes regular appearances on local television stations to discuss digital media and technology.
- Katrina Roberts, Graphic & Digital Media Designer, joined the staff of Moxley Carmichael as a graphic and digital media designer in 2016. Katrina was on staff at The Daily Beacon throughout her college career at The University of Tennessee and was a two-time recipient of the Tennessee AP College Award for Best News Graphic Design/Illustration.
(Credit for bios and photos: Moxley Carmichael)
Mentioned in this Episode
- Moxley Carmichael: full-service communication agency
- Our New Website: flyknoxville.com
- RFP: Request For Proposal
- ADA Compliancy
- The audience of airport websites include everyone. Therefore, we must ensure that every audience is taken care of and can access all of the information on our website.
- The new website is compliant for both visually and hearing impaired. The website also works with most all screen readers and paralysis tools.
- The website can easily be translated into Spanish by clicking the option in the header.
- The entire website can be translated in over 100 different languages using Google Translate.
- Ground Transportation
- #1 Most visited page
- Find information on ride sharing, including walking directions to the ride share pick-up location on this page.
- TSA Wait Time provided on the home page, powered by the MyTSA app.
- Real time parking information on the home page, as well as rates and directions.
- Easily apply online for jobs and subscribe to receive new job postings on the Jobs @ TYS page.
- Be sure to check out our time-lapse website header at 12 a.m., 5 a.m., 8 a.m., 12 p.m., 5 p.m., & 8 p.m.
Music in this Episode
- Birdy by KV https://soundcloud.com/kvmusicprod
- Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported — CC BY 3.0
- Music promoted by Audio Library https://youtu.be/dSCbsObNJo0