Newest Amenity at TYS: A Mamava Pod
Airports are always striving to offer amenities that will make a passenger’s travel experience more enjoyable and less stressful. McGhee Tyson Airport just opened a new airport amenity for East Tennessee travelers, but more specifically for traveling nursing mothers. This new amenity, a Mamava pod, offers a private area for mothers to breastfeed or pump while inside the airport terminal building. In this episode, we hear from a Mamava executive about the company’s history, their current products, and what ‘mamas’ can expect when utilizing this new airport feature.
Guest in this Episode
Nicci Micco is the Vice President of Marketing for Mamava, the inventor of freestanding lactation pods and the (free) Mamava app, which helps moms find thousands of pumping and breastfeeding-friendly locations—never a bathroom!—on the go.
Mentioned in this Episode
- The History of Mamava
- 2006 Article in the NY Times by Jodi Kantor: “On the Job, Nursing Mothers Find a 2-Class System”
- 2010: Fair Labor Standards Act created a business case for the company
- 2013: First pod was placed in the Burlington Airport
- Mamava App
- Mamava Solo, newest product
- Current Statistics: 156 Mamava Pods in 61 airports around the world
- Partnership with Medela: New Moms’ Healthy Returns
- Travelers and (LGA) Airport Employees leave encouraging notes in the pods for mothers
Music in this Episode